Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cake and Cochineal

Cochineal and cake

Well,

We went Saturday morning after F it Friday…. To a farm that the Paz family owns it is is 45 minutes south West of Arequipa. There starts to be red rock and white sand. It was a nice little trek even if it was a little scary watching big trucks pass each other on curves.




When we started to get close, I saw Prickly pear cactus, and Alejandros told me they are TUNA. I try not to look alarmed. But the cochineal bugs are on a piece of paper that is tacked on to the Tuna, then they have three months and they cover the plant making it white. Then the cochineal ( the little bugs) are collected.









They also grow alfalfa which is leased out in a topa, there are three topas in a hectar. We saw sheep, pigs, cows and chickens. Katie liked the little lambs alot.

Then back to Arequipa where we had out tasty Spinach pumpkin bean soups, and a fried fish dish with sweet potatoes.


We then took a long siesta.

We went to go look at a church that was beautiful. But we all know how I am with churches, and I was afraid I might burst into flame. I think everyone could tell I was uncomfortable so we left.

Then we went and had Turkish food for dinner, in Peru. ? I know. I had honey, pecan crepe with Honey ice cream and a café Au lait and Turkish bread. It was all very good, Katie had some vegetable cheese dish.


Myen and Alejandro were then nice enough to take us to get torta ( cake). The tortas we got are perfect. One is chocolate with cream and strawberry, the other is a sponge cake with a local fruit mousse with fruit on top (this is my favorite).

We then watched the End of the Affair which sucked because my speakers on my computer aren’t for watching a movie with two people so I had to keep telling Katie what was going on.




No comments: